Thursday, December 25, 2008

The House of Dark Shadows - A Good Read

When I first received this book, I was thrilled that my favorite author, Ted Dekker, had put his stamp of approval on it! I have to admit it was a thrill ride from beginning to end.

This particular series follows the King family, who move into a house that has some interesting characteristics to say the least. I feel, at its core, the story is about a family learning to cope with unbelievable circumstances and staying true to their values.

This book is marketed as a Christian book, but I didn’t notice any Christian overtones at all. I felt I was reading any young adult book. If a Christian book now qualifies as a book with no cursing and underlying good values, this would be it!

My only complaint: this book is written for a younger audience (teenagers), and I felt it was pretty obvious. It was a good book, but I felt at times the story and the language had been dumbed down a tad too much for my liking.

Overall, I would give this book 4/5 stars. I definitely plan on reading the rest of the series, and seeing what kinds of places the members of the King family end up next!

Please visit the Thomas Nelson site to find out more and/or purchase the book:

http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=1595544941]

Sam

No comments: